REFUGIO AMAZONAS 3Days 2Nights
- Arrival & Reception by Guide
- Our guides are tourism professionals, or community members. Unless noted otherwise, our guides
- speak English. We assign guides at 10:1 ratio in Refugio Amazonas. This means groups smaller
- than 10 people will be merged with other groups under one guide. If you would like a private guide
- or a guide in a language other than English please let us know.
- Transfer Airport to Puerto Maldonado Headquarters
- Upon arrival from Lima or Cusco, we will welcome you at the airport and drive you ten minutes to
- our Puerto Maldonado headquarters. While enjoying your first taste of the forest in our gardens we
- will ask you to pack only the necessary gear for your next few days, and leave the rest at our safe
- deposit. This helps us keep the boats and cargo light.
- Transfer Pto Maldonado Headquarters to Tambopata River Port
- Skirting Puerto Maldonado, we drive 20 kilometers to the Tambopata River Port, entering the
- Native Community of Infierno. The port is a communal business.
- Boxed Lunch
- Transfer Boat – Tambopata River Port to Refugio Amazonas
- The two and a half hour boat ride from the Tambopata Port to Refugio Amazonas will take us past
- the Community of Infierno and the Tambopata National Reserve´s checkpoint and into the buffer
- zone of this 1.3 million hectare conservation unit.
- Upon arrival, the lodge manager will welcome you and brief you with important navigation and
- security tips.
- Night walk
- You will have the option of hiking out at night, when most of the mammals are active but difficult to
- see. Easier to find are frogs with shapes and sounds as bizarre as their natural histories.
- Refugio Amazonas – Overnight
- Oxbow Lake Visit
- We will paddle around the lake on a canoe or a catamaran, looking for lakeside wildlife such as
- hoatzin, caiman and hornerd screamers, hoping to see the otters which are infrequently seen here.
- You will also be rewarded with overhead sightings of macaws.
- Canopy Tower
- A thirty minute walk from Refugio Amazonas leads to the 25 meter scaffolding canopy tower. A
- bannistered staircase running through the middle provides safe access to the platforms above. The
- tower has been built upon high ground, therefore increasing your horizon of the continuous primary
- forest extending out towards the Tambopata National Reserve. From here views of mixed species
- canopy flocks as well as toucans, macaws and raptors are likely.
- Farm Visit
- Five minutes downriver from the lodge lies a farm owned and managed by charismatic Don Manuel
- from the neighbouring community of Condenado. He grows a variety of popular and unknown
- Amazon crops – just about every plant and tree you see serves a purpose.
- Ethnobotanical Tour
- Along this trail we will find a variety of plants and trees that are used by the local population with at
- least the same variety of purposes. We will learn about the medicinal (and other) uses of Ajo-
- Sacha, Yuca de Venado, Uña de Gato, Charcot-Sacha, Para-Para, among several others.
- Tambopata National Reserve Lectures
- Nightly lectures prepared by the staff of Refugio Amazonas cover conservation threats,
- opportunities and projects in the Tambopata National Reserve.
- Refugio Amazonas – Overnight
- Transfer Boat – Refugio Amazonas to Tambopata River Port
- Transfer Tambopata River Port to Pto Maldonado Headquarters
- Transfer Puerto Maldonado Headquarters to Airport
- We retrace our river and road journey back to Puerto Maldonado, our office and the airport.
- Depending on airline schedules, this may require dawn departures.
- Programmes based on double occupancy. Includes all meal, accommodations, and services, all
- river transportation, and transfer from and to the airport of Puerto Maldonado.
- International or domestic airfares, airport departure taxes or visa fees, excess baggage charges,
- additional nights during the trip due to flight cancellations, alcoholic beverages or bottled water,
- snacks, insurance of any kind, laundry, phone calls or messages, reconfirmation of flights and
- items of personal nature.
- Rainforest Expeditions boats are 20-foot long, roofed canoes. Outboard boat engine are 60hp
- 4 cycle, eco-friendly, low emission motors.
· Transfer-in (From Puerto Maldonado to Lodge): we have two departures daily at 13:00 and 14:00
· Transfer-out (Lodge to Puerto Maldonado): Two daily departures at 07:00 and 08:00
- For other schedule possibilities please consult us
- We reserve the right to change the order of activities.